Avocadoes are one of the healthiest and most popular fruits in the world. Due to their high content of health nutrients, like vitamins B, vitamin E, folic acid, fiber, healthy fat and potassium, the avocados offer numerous benefits for the overall health. The uses of avocados in the kitchen are endless.
WHY DO AVOCADOES TURN BROWN?
The only disadvantage of avocadoes is that they turn brown quickly. Avocadoes contain polyphenol oxidase, an enzyme which in contact with oxygen produces brown-black pigmentation.
The surface acts as a barrier between this enzyme and oxygen, but when the avocado is cut, the barrier is broken and the compounds get oxygenated. It was proved that putting plastic wrap on the avocado’s surface or soaking it in lemon juice did not worked.
However, in this article we are going to show you how to keep avocadoes from turning brown. The trick that we are going to show you is simple and it works.
You can use it after you have made avocadoes into guacamole:
• Put the guacamole in an airtight container. Make sure you press it tightly, so that there are no bubbles.
• Sprinkle half an inch of warm water over the guacamole surface.
• Place the lid on and refrigerate it for 3 days.
• When you want to consume it, pour the water out and stir the guacamole.
You will need these ingredients:
• A tablespoon of olive oil
• Two avocadoes (ripe)
• One lime
• ¼ cup of red, diced onion
• ¼ cup of diced cherry tomatoes
• ¼ cup of fresh, chopped cilantro
• 1 – 2 cloves of minced garlic
• Half a teaspoon of sea salt
• ½ teaspoon of seeded or minced jalapeno pepper
How to prepare it and use it:
• First, mash the avocadoes using a hand-held mixer or a food processor. You can also use a potato masher or a fork for a chunky finish.
• When mashing the avocadoes, add the garlic, the cilantro and the lime.
• Add the other ingredients, and mix them thoroughly until you get a creamy mixture.
• Serve it and enjoy.
Have you ever tried this method? What is your favorite way to keep avocadoes from turning brown?