If you think that your eye shadow, powder, lipstick or gloss is safe, as it does not have any arsenic or lead on the ingredient label, think again. Nearly every cosmetic product tested had potentially harmful heavy metals.
Insidiously, the make-up industry is among the most corrupt industries all over the world. By applying beauty care products on their faces, women are exposed to numerous toxic chemicals. The make-up industry produces beauty care products, which are loaded with some of the most toxic chemicals. Most lipsticks are full of cancer-causing heavy metals.
The CEO’s of most make-up industries are making money at the cost of your health. Moreover, most industries that regulate water and food supplies also use toxic chemicals.
What is worse the number of such industries is increasing gradually?
Did you know that the United States had no health regulations and health testing before their products appeared on the market? In this way, they are trying to make money at the cost of people’s health. Generally, they use toxic chemicals in deodorants, powders, foundations, shampoos and lipsticks. This means that women, who use lipsticks a few times a day, can be ingesting a high amount of lead. Not only are chemicals ingested, but they are also absorbed through the skin.
In a report titled ‘Heavy Metal Hazard: The Health Risks of Hidden Heavy Metals in Make-up Item’, the Environmental Defense Group in Canada checked out 49 make-up products for their content of toxic chemicals. The findings were shocking. In fact, they checked out the most popular make-up products. Their list of make-up products contained 14 eye shadows, 2 eyeliners, 7 mascaras, 6 bronzes or blushes, 8 glosses or lipsticks, 4 concealers, 4 powders and 5 foundations.
The Environmental Defense Group found out that almost 96 % of the make-up items were loaded with lead-based compounds. Nearly 90 % of them had beryllium-based compounds and over 61 % were loaded with thallium-based compounds. Moreover, 20 % of the make-up items had arsenic and 50 % had cadmium.
On average, most of the make-up products contained 4 out of 8 heavy metals tested. In addition, on average each make-up item had 2 out of 4 heavy metals of the greatest concern, including: mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic. These heavy metals are considered to be highly toxic and they can lead to countless health issues.
Although there was a high contamination in the make-up products and all the heavy metals are prohibited as international compounds in the cosmetics in Canada, no one of the make-up products had the heavy metals listed on the ingredient label.
The make-up products do not only contain lead. Researchers found out seven other heavy metals, including cadmium, chromium, aluminum, cobalt, copper, manganese and titanium.
Moreover, the levels of these heavy metals have exceeded the lead levels.
Cadmium is a carcinogenic compound. It is of utter importance to understand that these heavy metals do not cause serious health issues immediately. Namely, they make the body develop health ailments over time. So, using make-up products loaded with cancer-causing heavy metals can increase the risk of developing reproductive issues, cancer and other health conditions.
Here is a list of 18 popular lipsticks that are loaded with cancer-causing heavy metals:
1. Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (# 634 satin plum)
2. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer (Toffee)
3. Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (# 631 Luminous Pink)
4. L’Oreal Endless (# 530 Mauve Amour)
5. Avon Beyond Color (# 558 Mad for Mauve)
6. Revlon Color Stay (# 375 Ripened Red)
7. NARS Semi – Matte (# 1009 Funny face)
8. Revlon Matte (# 009 Fabulous Fig)
9. Maybelline Color Sensation (# 475 Mauve Me)
10. Cover Girl Continuous Color (# 025 Warm Brick)
11. L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lip color (# 748 Heroic)
12. Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color (# 26 Mauvey)
13. Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues (# 580 Ruby Remix)
14. L’Oreal Color Riche (# 165 Tickled Pink)
15. Maybelline Color Sensational (# 125 Pink Petal)
16. L’Oreal Color Riche (# 410 Volcanic)
17. NARS Semi – Matte (# 1005 Red Lizard)
18. Stargazer Lipstick (# 103c)
Here are some safer lipstick alternatives:
1. Coastal Classic Creations Canyon Lipstick
2. W3ll People Extreme Lip Gloss
3. Maia’s Mineral Galaxy Lipstick
4. Organic Infused Lip Love Lipstick
5. Bella Mari Pure Mineral Lipstick
6. Isoi Bulgarian Rose Lip Treatment Balm
7. Rejuva Minerals Pur Lips Lipstick