Did you know that jokes can determine the level of your intelligence? If you didn’t know this, read the following jokes and we will tell you how smart you are.
• Two men are sitting in a rooftop bar next to each other. One of them asks the other:
“What are you drinking?”.
He answers: “Magic beer.”
The other guy looks at him strangely wondering what magic beer is. So, the guy showed him. He swag some beer, dived off the roof, flew around the building and returned to the seat with a smile.
Seeing this, the other guy grabbed the beer and wanted to do the same. He jumped off the roof and fell 15 floors down on the ground. Then, the bartender shaking his head said to the man sitting at the bar: “You are a real jerk when drunk, Superman.”
• “I am sorry” and “I apologize” mean the same thing. Except at a funeral.
• “Why don’t cannibals eat clowns?” – Because they taste funny.
• “What has four legs and one arm?” – A happy pit bull.
• “What did Kemit the frog say at Jim Henson’s funeral?” – Nothing.
• “Cats have nine lives. This makes them perfect for experimentation.”
• “If you cut off your arms, your vest will become a jacket.”
• “Why can’t orphans play baseball?” – They don’t know where home is.
• “What do you call a bunch of white guys sitting on a bench?” – The NBA.
• “ What does a boy with no hands get for Christmas?” – Gloves.
• “What do you call a cheap circumcision?” – A rip off.
How do you feel about this joke? Do you find it funny or morbid? Or maybe both?
Not everyone appreciates dark humor which deals with tragic and morbid topics in a humorous way.
However, a recent study has concluded that there is a co-relation between dark humor and intelligence. This co-relation was tested on 156 participants who read 12 bleak cartoons. They had to indicate if they understood each joke and if they found it funny. Afterwards, they had some IQ tests answering questions about their mood, aggression and education.
The results showed that participants who understood and enjoyed the dark humor jokes had higher IQ results than those who didn’t. More precisely, they showed lower aggression and negative feelings resistance. This makes sense if we take into consideration the health benefits of laughter and smiling.
However, what we are more interested is the link to intelligence. According to the researchers who conducted the above mentioned study, processing dark humor jokes requires more mental effort since it is a complex information processing task.
This task requires emotional distancing from the contents of the joke i.e. you need to process the multiple meanings of each word but while doing so remain in your comfortable emotional zone.
Actually, more or less any joke based on wordplay requires brain effort but dark humor jokes also require emotional control. In conclusion, dark humor is like food which means that not everyone can get it.